Category: Skyrunning, difficult
Start: 10:00, Cheile Butii
Cut-off time - Plesa: 6km/700m: 1h 45min
Final limit time: 6h
Terrain: 1 km asphalt, 9 km dirt roads, 8 km trails, 5 km alpine ridge
Support points: 6 (hydration, food, orientation)
Marking: Intersport tape
Mountaineering skills: recommended!
Interactive map, allowing you to understand and remember the race course:
- You can export the track in whichever format desired, only by choosing the format and then clicking on “OK”.
- You can observe the course profile on the left side of the map, and hovering the cursor on it you are able to get the altitude and distance on the race track.
- To export the track in Google Maps – click “More”, and then “Google Maps”.
- For distance markings – check “kilometre”.
- You have the possibility to zoom in, and also change the layers of the map. To do so, click the “Layer” icon.
- For complete information regarding the map and race profile, click “Details”.
- In the upper right corner, observe the QR Code, which downloads the map on your smartphone.
The Buta Course crosses marvelous area of the Piule-Plesa ridge from “Retezatul Mic” (Little Retezat), goes down to the Buta Salvamont Refuge, continuing then on dirt road and trails towards the finish line.
It practically covers a 23km loop, with 1400m of elevation. Here, you will discover wild and spectacular landscapes, a difficult and technical course recommended only to the more experienced mountaineers and/or to the mentally and physically stronger athletes willing to surpass their limits.
Participants will have to cover an outstanding ascent towards Piule Peak, with a 1300m elevation, followed by a long downhill, firstly steeper and shorter from Scorota Saddle to Buta Salvamont, and then easier on dirt roads and trails.
The start line is in front of the Cheile Butii motel, followed by a 1km dirt road. Turning right on the asphalt road for 1km, we cross the little bridge over the West Jiu river, and the track continues with a moderate climb up to the monastery, where we find the first hydration point.
We then climb through the forest on a marked trail until we reach the ridge(hydration point 2, 6km/700m and cutoff time of 1h 45min), we cross Plesa Peak, touch Piule Peak (orientation point), after carefully having passed a rocky segment, with the permanent presence of a Mountain Rescue member.
From Piule Peak we reach Scorota Saddle (orientation/control point 4), followed by a short and steep downhill -500m, at the end of which we will cherish a very beautiful segment through the forest, until we arrive at Buta Salvamont (hydration/control point 5). We have now covered 13km and 1350m of elevation.
10 more km to the finish line, downhill and 50 more m of elevation, after we cross the beautiful Fanete plains (orientation point, turn right), reaching the marked trail which descends until the Cheile Butii Motel (finish line, hydration point), where spectators and friends await you in rounds of applauds.